Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My Life As A Stern Man #2

We have another installment from the Florida-girl-turned -New-England stern-man.

7/28/13
Hi Folks,
We headed out as usual and set one of our crab traps first. I LOVE the crabmeat here in Maine but to call these delicious sea creatures Sand Crabs is definitely confusing to me.

When my daughters were little, they would catch sand crabs at the beach in California and those things look nothing like the Maine crabs.
They were about as long as your thumb with a body like a squid. The ones here in Maine are huge by comparison.

But there is one other gigantic difference between the two....the California sand crabs don't bite. And let me tell you, the buggers here in Maine are vicious.

Not only do they bite, they actively seek out fingers to pinch!

The Cap'n wears big, heavy orange gloves (a fashion faux pas as far as I'm concerned). My gloves are pink or purple usually with flowers on the cuffs (hence my 'girlie girl' status).

 They do the job by keeping fish slime off my hands (yuk) and protecting my delicate little fingers from cuts. But they do not protect me from bites!

So I decided I needed to have a small talk with the leader of this crew. "Cap'n (I said) I know part of my job is to clear out the traps when they're hauled up BUT (pause for effect with a tear in my eye)... those crabs are attacking me and they're winning the battle! Would you please clear them out before I bait the trap?"

And being the kind man that he is, he agreed (yea).

 He proceeds to pick those things up like it was nothing and with a flick of his wrist, over the side of the boat and into the water they go.

Now I am a fairly mild and easy going person but these crabs bring out the worst in me. Die, suckers, die!

That's it for now. Be safe and, as the Cap'n likes to say, "stay out of the hot sun".

No comments:

Post a Comment